Monday, July 26, 2004

My Portugal Diary: Day 6

英国病人 @ 2004-07-26 16:06

Day 6 Sunday 20 June, 2004

Went back to Praca Figueira to have a sunshine breakfast. Loved the whole setting of the square, and the Castello is the backdrop. A group of local people are practising Judo with Japanese music at the background. However, very soon the music was overwhelmed by the cheering Spanish fans all over the place—I’m afraid the cheering never stopped since last night! The Spanish staged a huge “celebration” at the nearby Rossio, cheering, chanting, drums were beaten, flags were flying. Texted Roger: “You might think they have won the game already, but the game actually is nine hours away.”

Had thought about going for some more beach and sunshine before coming back for the match. However the atmosphere in Lisbon was simply fantastic. So I just hopped on the coach for Setubal to collect my luggage and got back to Lisbon on the first possible coach, where I was seated in the middle of a group of Croatian fans. Luckily I was still in my plain T-shirt

Changed into my Liverpool kit for the night. A Spanish fan staying at the same dorm was borrowing some toothpaste, then whispered to me: the colour red you are wearing stands for Spain tonight. I didn’t agree though. But, as was texted a friend, “I hope the Portuguese don’t take it that way.” Quite often there are cars or buses roaring past, with Spanish flags flying from the windows and Spanish fans cheering from inside. Seems the city is occupied, yet another time, after so many centuries

Two Hours Later:

1:0! Nuno Gomes settled the score. The Spanish struck the woodwork twice after that, but that was it. Portugal go on, Spain are out. Winning the “local” derby has given the Portuguese some special pleasure. Seconds after the final whistle the city went crazy! All those Spanish flags seemed to have been packed and gone by a whisk. I only saw two Spanish fans on Rossio, draped in the national flags, looking forlorn.

Interestingly, the loudest groups on the square were the English! Hope they can do the same tomorrow night! And I’ll join!

No comments:

Post a Comment